Dedication Ceremony to be Held Friday, November 11, at the Conclusion of the Veterans Day Parade
Citizens for Milford is thrilled to report that we have received sponsorships for over 90 flags to be placed in Draper Memorial Park, starting Monday, November 7, to commence the Field of Flags project for Veterans Day. We thank everyone who has chosen to sponsor a flag. Each of these flags will also be placed in Draper Park on Memorial Day, Flag Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day next year.
We invite all area residents to help us launch this new community tradition by attending the Field of Flags Dedication Ceremony, to be held in Draper Park at the conclusion of the Veterans Day Parade this Friday, November 11.
Please make a note of the following information:
- The flags will be placed in Draper Park on Monday, November 7. We will attach the yellow remembrance ribbons and honoree cards to the flags on Tuesday afternoon. Everyone is welcome to stop by the park and walk around the flags anytime. The flags will remain in Draper Park until early the following week.
- The parade will take place on Friday, November 11, starting at 10:00 a.m. at Stop and Shop and continuing down Main Street down to Draper Park.
- The dedication ceremony will take place in Draper Park at the end of the parade. We anticipate the ceremony will start at approximately 11:00 a.m. You may choose to walk alongside the parade as it marches downtown or go directly to Draper Park to await the arrival of the parade.
- The ceremony will include music, a blessing by Major David Irwin of the Salvation Army, and comments by Board of Selectmen Chairman Bill Buckley. In addition, we plan to invite flag sponsors in attendance to say a few words about the person they have honored with a flag. This is not mandatory, but if you are a flag sponsor and would like to say a few words about your honoree, we would welcome hearing from you!
- If the parade is cancelled on Friday due to rain, we will hold the Field of Flags Dedication Ceremony on Saturday, November 12 at 10:00 a.m. in Draper Memorial Park.
We look forward to a beautiful display of red, white, and blue in Draper Park this week and hope for a large community gathering at the Field of Flags Dedication Ceremony!
Citizens for Milford extends sincerest appreciation to our partner, the Milford Corps of the Salvation Army, as well as to Mr. John Pilla of Milford Veterans Services and Mr. Mike Bresciani of the Milford Parks Commission for their enthusiastic support and assistance.